Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sangeet Theatre- Farewell to my movie Den

I remember, the first time I saw Sangeet theatre. It was the summer of 1989 when I was travelling in a bus with my Maa. We were going towards Secunderabad Railway station. The bus halted at a place and the bus conductor shouted 'Sangeet' for the benefit of those who'd want to get down. I looked right, and there stood this theatre painted with blue border. I looked up, tried to figure out the name of the theatre, the alphabets which were assorted to form an arc. I looked around and Saw the poster of the film SCARFACE, Al pacino holding a gun and the painted bullets gushing out of it! I presumed the name of the film to be SURFACE. I lived with that assumption for sometime.

Two years later 'Home Alone' arrived in town. My memory tells me this was my first movie in Sangeet. I looked at the Sangeet theatre from outside and wondered, Where on earth is the screen? Which side? Athough, my curiosity was never exposed to anyone. As a kid, I admired Macaulay Culkin, for his guts and intelligence.

Sangeet has always been a special place for the yuppies of Secunderabad. And it all started in early 90s. English movie fever caught up soon. And of course, Watching an English movie was a privilege then. With The most common dress code meant for this ocassion was blue jeans teamed up with T shirt-. To be brand specific, Kaizas or Buffalo Jeans and the T shirt? well! we all knew fido- dido, the character of lehar 7-up that created waves across school and college goers of society. It did just the right thing.

Over years Sangeet had occupied a special place among the Secunderabad fraternity. The colloquial discussions made inside the theatre near the snacks, included the active use of the word 'ya' instead of 'yes'. Urbanization had reached a vantage point. yards away from the theatre, stood 'Fantasy' the premium multi cuisine eatery shack. Popularly known for its tall chairs and Fantasy champagne and fantasy burger, it had eveything that could cater those 15 somethings! However, they were expensive... very expensive priced between Rs 15-25!!!!! ( inflation during early 1990s)

And then there was guy called Sai, the fella at the parking lot who SECRETLY arranged tickets for us. During ticket crisis, the sight of Sai made us feel at ease. Limping across those parked vehicles, he used to vanish and show up after 10 minutes with those bright tickets in hand! Like a Houdini!

The decision to revamp this theatre into a swanky multiplex might sound to be a fair deail for the investors. However, go and ask the young generation of early 90s about Sangeet, most of them would go back to their past. We will never again see the same Sangeet theatre, with moss formed on the walls, pale yellow structure and the title SANGEET perched on top of it, with the blue sky over looking it.

Beethoven. Showdown in little Tokyo, Jurassic park, Free Willy...I lose count the number of movies I saw this theatre. But I will never forget what Sangeet theatre brought to this tinsel town of mine, its a monument that brought friends together, made us socialize despite our simple lifestyle. We were more happy with that 5 rupee chips packet, the seating style, arranging finances for the 25 rupee ticket, never bothered about parking. Each and every moment that transformed us.

Priceless indeed!


© All rights reserved with Abhishek Naini. No form of this may be reproduced without prior permission from the author.

2 Comentários:

Unknown said...

really enjoyed reading this one ... i've always thought of Sangeet and Anand as twin theatres in the same way as people have likened Skyline and Sterling. I vividly recall watching Eraser at Sterling in the mid nineties. What makes the recall very vivid is that I was one of a group of three watching the movie. That group of three was the total audience during that screening!

Biraj said...

I remember having gone for my first Eng movie from school here...It was a totally exciting experience. ..n then numerous movies thereon. Too bad, this WAS ceratinly 1 of the good theatres in this part of the town.